Friday, February 24, 2012

Check-In: Week Seven

Recovering a Sense of Connection

Listening

"Art is not about thinking something up. It is about getting something down.... We are the instrument more than the author of our work." 

"Expect the universe to support your dream. It will."

Sometimes we fail to hear the longings of our hearts because we fail to create the quiet necessary to listen. That's what morning pages, artist dates, and TAW exercises and tasks are doing for me--creating quiet, making space, putting up the "Gone Fishing" sign, helping me withdraw from the busy-ness of life to pay attention to the business of Life.

For the first time this week I did one of the visual tasks, or at least the first part of it: tearing through a stack of magazines to collect images reflective of my dreams for my future. (How wonderful to be almost 59 and realize I still have dreams!) I don't yet have the pictures glued down in a collage--they are currently spread out on my kitchen island, and I've been looking at them and thinking about them for several days. The images have led me to ruminate about an old dream and articulate it in my morning pages with a wealth of details that I've never expressed or even thought about before.

Expect the universe to support my dream? That's a tough one; this particular dream excites me because it draws on so many of my strengths and skills and interests, but also frightens me because my Censor tells me it's utterly impossible and how could I be so stupid (or arrogant) as to think I could ever carry it off?!

Which brings us to...

Perfectionism and Risk

"Perfectionism has nothing to do with getting it right.... [It] is a refusal to let yourself move ahead. Perfectionism is not a quest for the best. It is a pursuit of the worst in ourselves, the part that tells us that nothing we do will ever be good enough..."

"The success of a creative recovery hinges on our ability to move out of the head and into action."

"We deny that in order to do something well we must first be willing to do it badly. Instead, we opt for setting our limits at the point where we feel assured of success.... We won't do something unless we can guarantee that we'll do it perfectly."

These two sections hit me hard. I saw myself in every line. I cringed. I felt exposed. I wanted to hurry on to the next section. But writing down twenty things I would try if I didn't have to do them perfectly told me more about myself than any other task or exercise I've done thus far on my current journey through The Artist's Way. I realized how deadening perfectionism and risk aversion have been to my creativity and how many dreams they have kept me from pursuing. "Once we accept that anything worth doing might even be worth doing badly our options widen," Cameron says. Sometimes--often--a risk is worth taking simply for the sake of taking it. Taking risks enlivens us, expands our self-definition, empowers us.

I don't have to start by taking a huge risk. I can start small, taking little risks that lead me in the direction of that larger one, which by the time I get there, having built up to it with smaller risks, may not seem so huge after all. Baby steps--that's all I need!

Jealousy

"Jealousy is always a mask for fear.... [It] strips us of our will to act when action holds the key to our freedom."

There's that word again: action. I loved the Jealousy Map exercise because it really did serve as a map, identifying where I was and where I wanted to go and helping me identify baby-step actions I could take in the direction of my dreams. 

HIGHLIGHTS FOR ME LAST WEEK: 

Exercises
"If I didn't have to do it perfectly, I would try..."
The Jealousy Map 

Tasks
Lying down in the middle of the day in a darkened room to listen to Debussy
My "Dream" Collage 

Morning Pages
Letting go of some current anger
Clarifying and articulating an old dream 

Artist Dates
An hour at the library looking for early readers to prepare for a writing project
An afternoon reading them aloud to my 92-year-old mom and laughing over them together! 

What about you?

NOTE: I believe I've figured out, with Linda's help, how to get everyone's comments into your email inbox when they are posted so you can read and respond to them without having to sift through all the Platform 9-3/4 blog posts to find them. In order to do so, I need each of you to email me at bhicksgvv(at)att(dot)net from your preferred email address with "TAW Address" in the subject line--no message required.

Next Week: Recovering a Sense of Strength
 

31 comments:

  1. Barb, I once again love hearing from you and your insights and growth. This has been my favorite chapter to date! I wrote down so many quotes and I feel this is confirmation to where I am in my life. It was last weeks chapter that still has me by the short hairs on the back of my neck... "Recovering a Sense of Abundance"... I have been working through this issue for an inordinate amount of life-time. And, it feels as though it is definitely turning around, but I still have a lot of personal work to do in this area.

    But THIS week is something I "get!" and live! Ms. Cameron states, "I remind my [screenwriting] students that their movie [or my painting] already exists in its entirety. Their [my] job is to listen for it, watch it with their minds eye, and write [paint] it down." Yes!! That is why I feel that it is my "job" to just "show up" every day at the easel. I do my part of the job... show up... and heaven does it's part of the job by flowing all that creative juice to me. She also said, "Become willing to see the hand of God and accept it as a friend's offer to help with what you are doing." Oh YES, I accept!!! And, I'm getting "something down!!" (I know you aren't supposed to start a sentence with "And..." but I love to use it anyway!)

    Another thing I loved and feel true for myself is, "When a painter is painting, he or she may begin with a plan, but that plan is soon surrendered to the painting's own plan. This is often expressed as 'The brush takes the next stroke." This is SO true... it is THE link to Spirit/Creator. It IS my connection! I love connection!! She said "It's more like taking dictation than anything fancy having to do with art." YES, YES, YES!!! So true!

    I'm sorry to be quoting so much here, but she says it so perfectly and I want to share it here again because it is so juicy.... but she connects it here for me back to Week 6 by saying... "Once you accept that it is natural to create, you can begin to accept a second idea - that the creator will hand you whatever you need for the project." Awesome, because I get the part that I will receive what I need creatively but this made me realize that actually the financial part is just the next same thing! My husband has always supported my art and talent, but I want to contribute. I do, and we just finished doing our taxes for last year and 2011 was my greatest year yet! I am so thankful for that... but I still have a ways to go.

    Moving along, listening, growing and mostly... showing up!

    Thanks for "listening"... blessings to all,
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your insights about "showing up," Ginny. And so exciting that your financial well-being as related to your art is improving. There is hope there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello from Arizona where I am with my almost 97 year old Mom.

      Preparations to leave town got in the way of my Artist's Date and getting as many tasks done as I wanted but I so LOVED this chapter too, Ginny. So much good in it for me. Your quotes above plus yours above that, Barb resonated with me and I can feel things happening that I love. One of the best is this sense of quiet and strength .... almost a settling into my own skin.
      The 'take a risk a day' quote has me swallowing hard but stepping into places that I was timid to pursue.

      Being open to my Creative Partner has me seeing opportunities in many places.
      And for the first time in a VERY long time, I am writing again!!

      A poem for two creative writing partners came out of me this week. it felt SO good. And the piece is pretty fine too :)

      And my first children's book ms that has been languishing untouched for almost two years, got a fresh look and feel today.

      So I must close this but I will return to add more and try to comment further as I finish more of what this past week asked. Hope you are all embracing some goodness and delight.

      Margie

      Delete
    2. Margie, that's so exciting! Congratulations on the risk taking and most especially on the poems and the facelift for your children's manuscript. Yay, you!

      Enjoy some precious time with your mom--

      Delete
  3. Quick post here ... and will look forward to reading the above updates and others as they are posted this week.

    Morning Pages: about three and a half days

    Artist Date: did sneak to coffee shop for an hour alone at the beginning of the week, but it did not feel like an artist's date

    The week was a blur of tiredness and blah for me, which I suppose is to be expected now and then.

    We had Natalie's first birthday party yesterday, which meant about 25 family members at my house (my husband is lucky enough to still have several surviving grandparents, plus in-town aunts, uncles and cousins). It was a lot of work but ultimately worth it. I am not gifted in or that comfortable with being a hostess, especially for that many, so it was a stretch for me. As I was preparing, I just kept telling myself to embrace imperfection. I also reminded myself over and over not to apologize for anything -- such as my house being a little messy, or something not being perfect. Those two things helped. I did a good job of being an imperfect hostess, and it made for a lovely party.

    However, I'm glad it's over. I'm tired and looking forward to getting some good rest the next few nights so I can get caught up on TAW reading and tasks.

    Oh, I'm also enjoying recording my spending (a task from last week). I remember finding this very beneficial the first time I did TAW 2 decades ago, so I'm going to keep it up. Something going through my mind -- possibly going back to work. We'll see what the coming months hold.

    Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A birthday party for a one year old sounds like so much fun--and a lot of work too. I'm glad you did a good job of being an imperfect hostess--a wonderful perspective! Have fun catching up with TAW...

      Delete
    2. So great you kept the focus on the celebrating most of all. I remember
      my daughter's 1st being quite chaotic
      but a wonderful thing to do.

      Delete
  4. Hi!
    I enjoy reading everyone's comments -- they help me think through our tasks again.

    Morning Pages: only missed Wednesday, BUT -- since I'm using the book that one can buy for morning pages and it's important to put most of the morning pages in the chapter sections where they apply, I note 'free space' on the pages I haven't used. This time, I sketched my Wednesday activities in the Free Spaces: drew the clay projects I was working on AND a side view of an eye-ball. Why the eye-ball? Because Cary, my sweetheart found he had wet macular degeneration and we promptly spent time getting it treated. Interesting process (and consumed some time as well).

    Creative risk? Well, I made up a clay creation using slimy wet (from slip) paper to embellish a bowl which, now that it's glazed, looks like the splash you get when you drop a mid-sized rock into a pond. The other risk was to make a two-ended candle holder. It'd probably snuff out a lit candle, but there are those little lights with batteries that might work. I'll see what it looks like today.

    New creative risk idea: weave a scarf. Might need to join needle arts to have access to a loom.

    Coddling, pampering -- I'm working on that and decided that COMFORT could be considered a luxury.

    Artist date -- went to a friend's art display in a library in Auburn. It was in a place I hadn't been before. (risk in finding new locations) While there, I sat on a bench and did a pen and ink sketch. (Since i'm reluctant to use a pen for sketching, that was a risk)

    Synchronicity -- YES! A friend lent me the book: 'The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted' and learned through those short stories how some have self-pampered themselves. Interesting that I read it this week.

    Significant: Finding a pattern in doing the Archeology exercise. I found that I was making excuses for other's behavior when it could hurt me. So, I reviewed adult styles in my 'Character Traits' book to re-look at the type(s) I might be and found a couple of types who make excuses for others. These are: Fall Guy and Victim. But, their other traits don't quite fit me -- other than wanting to be liked. I do, however, find that I have quite a few traits that fit each of these Adult Types: Resilient, Creator, Personable and Problem Solver. That discovery helped me feel good.

    Why am I late? Spent the weekend going to an IMPROV class to develop characters, visited with college roommate and cousins AND stayed in San Francisco one night. I think those are GREAT excuses! :)

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, it sounds like you and your artist are having a fabulous time together, trying so many new things--that's great, and something great is going to come out of it!

      Delete
  5. TREATING MYSELF LIKE A PRECIOUS OBJECT WILL MAKE ME STRONG is my favorite quote of the week.
    The library was the sacred space I went to thrice.
    I created a wonderful smell making homemade granola.
    But I've been very distracted by a health crisis for
    my husband and a social crisis for my daughter, both
    very scary situations, but getting help, and optomistic
    things will get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And treating yourself like a precious object is so important when you're experiencing the stresses you're going through! My thoughts and prayers are with you, Maria.

      Delete
  6. Hello Everyone!

    I enjoy reading your comments and watching you progress along the same path as me. I feel a wonderful sisterhood with my fellow Artists.

    “Do not fear mistakes. There are none.” ~ Miles Davis.

    If I had heard this quote from my elementary teachers, when my creations where outside the box, I would be willing to take a lot more risks with my art. Since I did not hear that from my teachers, I am putting this quote in my head, Expect the universe to support your dream. It will. How wonderful to imagine the universe hovering over me, instead of my censor, gently guiding me to the place I am supposed to be. I love the idea that, somewhere in the future, my story is already finished and all I have to do is be engaged in listening. That reminds me of Kevin Costner's movie, Field of Dreams: If you build it, it will come. If I listen, it will come.

    Perfectionism and Risk ~ Somehow, I managed to miss this section completely on the first read. Almost as if my censor did not want me to see my shortcomings, so they could continue to hinder me. On my second read, I saw myself. It was like reading words printed on a mirror. Of course, as any good doctor will tell you, diagnosing the problem is the first step to finding the cure. I hope I am on my way to a cure that allows me to move ahead into action and stop fixing it along the way.

    Exercises ~ Completing the Archeology exercise dug up some buried wounds that I did not realize I still had. It was good to acknowledge them and begin the healing process.

    Tasks ~ I made a collage, (so fun), bought myself a new skirt, and took to heart the mantra: Treating myself like a precious object will make me strong.

    Morning Pages ~ I missed two days this week. One was the holiday and the other was because I filled up my journal! I felt a wonderful sense of completion at having the entire spiral bound notebook filled with pages and pages of my thoughts and dreams. What a gift for my future self to look and see the me I used to be.

    Artist Dates ~ I created a collage and hung it in my writing space. It is full of things I love, and gives me something pleasant to stare at when I am pondering plot lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Miles Davis quote is great, Jenn. It takes away the fear when I think of every choice as a learning opportunity. Those two things--the choices we make and what we learn from the experiences it leads us to--are what make us who were are...

    I had so much fun with the collage task, too! It's great to look at those images every day and remind myself what's important to me and what my dreams are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ROCK Barbara Jean Hicks! Thanks to you, I am so much further in my Artists Journey.

      Delete
  8. Hey all! Just want to let you know I am still on the team but have been busy travelling, getting ready for a school visit and preparing for a writer's workshop that I have been wanting to take for years. I have managed to do my Morning Pages most days but my artist date has been working on my middle grade novel.

    Here my amazing synchronicity story. I have been re-writing the first chapter of my book and decided to include a character called Frank Zambrano as the father's boss. This was a minor character that I thought about creating because I had an image of the person who went along with the name. Last weekend I was visiting my son at Stanford and was sitting in the courtyard of the business school enjoying the morning sun. I looked up and I right in front of the Lorenzo ZAMBRANO Building!!!!!!!!! If that isn't a sign that I'm on some sort of path, I don't know what is!

    Next week life should be "back to normal."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi All,

    I love reading everyone's post. It really does feel like a "sisterhood" Jenn. I have been thinking of that quote,
    "if you build it, they will come," also lately. It is so encouraging. And, by the by, what the heck do we have to lose?
    Barb,the image of you and your Mom laughing while reading picture books is priceless.
    All I can say, Margie is yippee!So glad you are writing.
    I was just "walked over" by our big black cat, Riley. He is such a comfort since our sweet dog of 16 years, Cappy passed in August. Sometimes you just need to scratch a furry head.
    Stephanie, how great you were to have all your family in one place to celebrate your daughter's first B.day. I am sure no one noticed anything but the wonderful celebration and being all together. On her first B day, my daughter cried when we sang to her. What a fun story to tell her now that she is grown.
    Ginny, I couldn't agree with you more about the painting process. That's why I love painting so.

    I missed some morning pages this past week. It was and is a busy work week, getting ready for a SCBWI conference in Redmond next month.
    I did do a lot of daydreaming though, before I roused myself from bed in the morning. Thinking about the plot of the MG novel I am working on or how to save one of my past P Books , or how to make an illustration better...
    And trusting that "it will come."

    My artist date was going to a Children's Literature Conference. Author,Gary Schmidt, Wenesday Wars and many other MG novels, told such encouraging stories with so much HEART. It was definitely a chance to "fill the well."

    Well, I am a little late posting but wanted to say I am still kicking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, thanks for all your thoughtful responses to everyone's posts. Those of you who've sent me your preferred email addresses should be receiving all these comments by email now. If that is so, could you just add a quick comment here that you are receiving them so I know Blogger is working the way I want it to? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Yes Nancy! It will come. What do we have to lose? Nothing. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

      Delete
    3. I sure identify with the benefits of scratching a furry head. What comfort our cats and dogs and other pets are to us! Loving my kitties clears my head and makes me think better, somehow.

      Delete
  10. Barb, I absolutely love getting the updates in my email! That way, I don't have to keep going on the site to see if there are any more entries AND... the biggest deal to me is that I can read each entry when it comes in instead of going on the site and seeing that there are maybe FIVE I haven't read yet!! Don't always have the time to read so many at once... feels a little discouraging. But, this way is awesome!!! Thanks, Barb! You've done a great job leading this group!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh good--I'm glad it's working out! We have Linda to thank--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI All,

      We really seem to have our engines primed and are chugging alongside and in sight of one another now. Pretty dang cool. Kudos, Barbara.

      Synchronicity (or what I like to call Woo-Woo) has shown up for me this week --- have been waiting for it and figure it has been around all the time but perhaps, I am finally ready to see it . Going to stay attuned to the magic of it and will share some stories soon.

      Not much meat here. Just wanted to touch base.

      Delete
  12. This week's chapter definitely did not resonate with me as some of the others have. I liked reading that being a perfectionist is a form of egotism. I hadn't thought of it that way. It reminded me that years ago a friend told me that being shy was really ego, also. I thought about that a lot, and determined not to be shy any longer if I could help it. (And I could!)

    Tasks:

    I am going to create a wonderful smell in my house (5th wheel) on Sunday when we have company and I cook dinner for them. That is an artistic side of me that I don't get to do very often. I can't wait!

    I did buy myself a wonderful gift this past week. We went into the Denver Zoo gift and souvenir store where I bought an incredible t-shirt with beautifully done wild African cats on the front. It will be my "dress-up" t-shirt! I also found a coffee mug with giraffes adorning it, and a blank book with a magnificent lion on the cover. Then my artist took me home where I wrote about our drive and my purchases on my blog, and put up photos of the t-shirt. I will claim that as my "artist date."

    I'm looking forward to Week 8. I like the new way the comments are coming in my email. It surely makes it easier to keep up with everyone. Thanks, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some chapters resonate more than others, Ann. It's this week, chapter 8, that I'm having problems with! Here it is Friday, time for me to post again tomorrow, and I've only just finished reading the chapter. Missed my first day of morning pages earlier this week, too. I'm just "off" this week for some reason. I need to make the rest of today count!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ann, I went back to try and find your website/blog and couldn't... I'd love to see your Tee!! I know Barb put it on a week or two ago... I suggest that it could be really fun to have everyones site listed in one obvious place... maybe left side column? I've loved seeing others sites and it just helps so much to make a deeper connection with each person than just their name... for what it's worth!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just one more thing... another reason it is so great having the postings come into my email is that when I do post here now, I don't have to type in those two blasted words (which I get wrong about half of the time! *smile*) it just directly puts my reply up!!! Thanks, Barb!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey gals!

    Getting in here at the very last minute. It's been a busy, busy week, so it was hard to get to the check-in. But I have been diligent in my TAW MP3's, artist dates, reading and tasks. Much like Ginny, week 6 is still kicking my butt and was the reason I derailed the last few times I did TAW. I am still working on some of those tasks. But week 7 was wonderful! So much of it resonated with me! So is week 8 actually! I have so many insights and epiphanies smacking me upside the head, I'm at a bit of a loss to write them all down just now, hee hee!

    I promise the week 8 check-in I'll be more present and share more. But for now, just wanted to chime in and say hi and I'll be catching up with all y'alls posts tonight!

    You all rock and I'm so glad I'm doing this and sharing with all you wonderful peeps!

    Thanks everyone and especially Barbara for this circle of trust and enlightenment!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you got in under the wire, Linda! And especially glad that last week's work really resonated with you. Yay for insights and epiphanies--can't wait to hear details!

    ReplyDelete