Saturday, March 3, 2012

Check-In: Week Eight

Recovering a Sense of Strength

I have to say this chapter didn't really seem to "hang together" for me. I had trouble reconciling the focus in the chapter title, a sense of strength, with the focus of the chapter synopsis, an exploration of my use and perception of time, with the focus of the primary task, taking steps to identify "true north" on my emotional compass. What did I miss? I'll be interested to find out if anyone else felt a disconnect with this week's material or if it was just me!

Survival: I liked Cameron's comments on liberating criticism--the kind that causes us to rethink our work and identify new directions--vs. damaging criticism, which "contains no saving kernel of truth yet has a certain damning plausibility." Any artist who has shared her work has experienced both kinds. My hope is two-fold: that I will be able to differentiate between the two when they come my way and that when I offer criticism myself it will be of the liberating sort.

The Ivory Power: "Creativity cannot be comfortable quantified in intellectual terms." Perhaps part of the reason I didn't connect with a lot of  the material in this chapter is that Cameron seems to do what she tells us NOT to do--intellectualize creativity!

Gain Disguised as Loss: I do like what Cameron says about framing our creative losses as potential gain. Every end is indeed a beginning if we ask ourselves, "How can this loss serve me? Where does it point my work?" The key, she says, is "to act as if a silver lining exists" in every creative loss. I liked her personal story of taking her destiny into her own hands by becoming an independent filmmaker after one too many times having a studio buy a script and then do nothing with it. I liken it to my experiments in self-publishing in light of the current lack of a market for picture books. (I've published two of my romance novellas as ebooks and am working with two illustrators to bring two different picture ebook projects to market.) Like Cameron, I've been asking "How?" instead of "Why me?!" I also liked the stories of a lack of success in one creative area pushing people into expressing their creativity in another form. My brother just installed a brand new work table for me and I'm wondering if it might not be time to get a visual art project going again...

Age and Time: Okay, a little soul-baring here... "I'm too old" and "I'm too young" are both, paradoxically, things my Censor has been telling me this week about my decision to quit the job with the steady paycheck to pursue writing and teaching as a freelancer. Now that I'm nearing retirement age, my Censor says, I'm too old for that--I've GOT to think about where my retirement is going to come from. I'm also too young, he says (yes, my Censor is definitely male) because I'm NOT retired yet--I'm not old and crazy enough (and financially secure enough) to let go of the paycheck in these last years I need to boost my Social Security potential (assuming Social Security even exists in another few years). So the decision that I thought was made seems to be unraveling. Yes, sometimes the job feels unbearably soul-sucking. But is it really that bad? Can I make it work a few more years and still pursue my creative interests, still have a five-year plan that will move me toward my creative goals? I see that I still have some work to do here...

Product and Process: I like the distinction Cameron makes between these two--they are not the same, and as artists we MUST be always in process or we're not growing in our craft. But I do think product is important, too. Yes, we must practice our art for the joy the process brings us, but the product is what communicates our vision and our passion to the world. Without a finished product--or a product as finished as possible--we are only talking to ourselves. That's okay sometimes, but in my opinion it's not enough. Art is meant to be shared.

Filling the Form: Another way to say "small steps." Something I need to remind myself when I feel overwhelmed. (Just realized that's been part of my problem this week--feeling overwhelmed. My "active addiction to anxiety"?) Me to my artist, right now at this moment: "You are doing enough. You are writing your morning pages. You are continuing to clarify your vision. You are making contacts. You are doing research. You are moving forward, even if sometimes only at a crawl. You are a work in progress. You are okay!"

EXERCISES, MORNING PAGES, TASKS

I found through the "Early Patterning" exercise that what I lacked in my early life was a sense of the possible. I did not know people who had made a successful life pursuing their muse. I had wonderful parents and educators who told me I could do anything, but I lacked a mentor to show me how. I think that still gets in my way...

I missed one day of morning pages--the first time since starting TAW in January! I did very few of the tasks this week, and spent less time on the one I did, "The Steps," than I needed to in order to get the information I needed. Perhaps that affected my experience of this week's work, too...

But enough about me--far too much, in fact! What about you? Did you have a more satisfying week than I did?

Next Week: Recovering a Sense of Compassion

20 comments:

  1. I found some passages to mark in this week's reading, but few of the tasks seemed pertinent or they require more time than I can give them right now. I've fallen behind in reading and tasks and want to stay w/the group, so I will come back to tasks later. I've marked ones I do/don't do so I will know for the next time I do TAW (which I can imagine doing again in the future).

    I agree w/your point, Barbara, that art is meant to be shared and a product (finished or as close to it as possible) is important. But as a fledgling creative (still figuring out whether it's writing, a visual art, a combo???), I appreciate the advice to go slowly, enjoy the process and not stress over the product.

    So that leads into the whole too old thing. I use that as an evasive tactic for all kinds of things, but especially for artistic pursuits. I just have to remind myself of Grandma Moses (an extreme case). I am in the throes of hectic parenthood right now and feeling overwhelmed with my chopped-up schedule (three sons in way too many sports, a new job, and like that), so if I don't make great strides w/my art, at least I am keeping my foot in the door, so to speak.

    I find morning pages to be so much more fulfilling and useful when I'm not rushed; weekends they are good, weekdays they are usually scribbled down out of obligation and don't contain much substance. So maybe setting my alarm clock for a little earlier in the AM will help w/this.

    I haven't gotten a chance to get to everyone's blogs yet, but I've checked out a few and feel fortunate to be among such creative and talented people. It makes me want to get a blog going to just keep myself moving forward. I will let y'all know when that happens.

    Happy March, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby steps, Kay! I'm proud of you for sticking with it eight weeks so far--

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara --

    I agree. Some parts of this chapter didn't seem to work, but overall I made progress.

    I frequently find that I'm in a time bind and cannot spend the open time creating -- even though I've set time aside -- because I am doing for others (like planning, organizing, coordinating). I talked with Cary about it and he said I spoke out loud with others in advance of an event, so they thought of me when they needed something to get done. That may be true -- but there are other hooks to get me to move away from 'me first' -- it's my turn to play in the dirt, mess with paints, put some words together to tell a story.

    I learned about this hook to help others when someone spoke of respecting me for a skill I assumed most other people had: that is -- organizing, gathering information needed, and coordinating. As she described what I could do that she wasn't aware of how to do, I realized that she might be right. She was certainly a smart, if not brilliant person.

    Another thing about me. I hate it when someone says they 'can't' as in can't use a computer to send e-mail, or 'can't' do something else I thought most reasonable people can do. After all, I'm not all that smart, others ought to be able to do what I can.

    So ... when someone says they 'can't' for some reason, I step in and do it and do it the best I can and use up a lot of my precious time.

    This being hooked because someone says they 'can't' was the answer to #4: other issues I consider significant for my recovery. In the future, if someone says they can't, my answers may be: try, or contact someone (else) who can, or ... SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!

    Re: Morning Pages. I only missed last Sunday because I was 'out of town' away from my TAW stuff. We spent the night in San Francisco and walked to the Ferry Terminal's open market. I found a bookstore there with an interesting newsletter. Could lead to attending a conference that looks like SCBWI, but isn't.

    My Artist Date included visiting a framing shop that I hadn't gone to before to frame a little 8 x 10" oil painting. Hopefully, the frame will help justify the price I put on it for the upcoming Annual Art Show we here at Sun City Roseville have as Artists of Timber Creek. I also went to a restaurant I've been meaning to go to for a long, long time. It was a Russian restaurant and I had Borsch and Bliny. Yum! But I was their only customer for lunch on a Thursday! I used my sole time remembering my visit to the USSR in 1959.

    I don't know why it was called Style Search, but I did that task. At first, it was difficult to think of 20 things, but once I got going, I did a lot. And yes, I was then able to plan a perfect day -- and I shared it with Cary. We might even do it late Spring -- when the weather is warmer, but not too warm. We'll picnic, I'll draw and paint, we'll fish, we'll cook dinner by a campfire, we'll watch the stars come out and either camp out for the night or go to a nearby WorldMark to take a hot shower and cuddle in bed.

    What amazes me is that we are about to start Week 9! That means all we have left is 9, 10, 11, and 12. Four more weeks. The time has gone fast!

    Pam W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be very hard to say no, Pam--but such an important word to learn! Your "perfect day" sounds lovely--except maybe for the fishing part. To each her own!

      Delete
  4. Barbara, I was really touched with your comments... really heart felt and it was visceral to read. I know I felt a little of disconnect while reading and participating with this chapter, but about half way through ... something kept coming to me ... at first it was a thought without the english word... I searched my brain files for several minutes and then it struck me! Once I found the word Endurance, the whole chapter fell into place for me. For me, it took care of: Time, Strength, Criticism/Critique, Loss, Age, Product vs. Process, and Steps to find true North ... (because this can take some time!) Maybe I'm totally mistaken, but for me, all this came under the umbrella of Endurance... which she didn't mention.

    It takes a lot of Strength - artistic muscle - to keep at it... and "it" is a BIG subject in art! Cameron says, "The trick is to metabolize pain as energy. The key to doing that is to know, to trust, and to act as if a silver lining exists if you are only willing to look at the work differently or to walk through a different door, one that you may have balked at."

    A sense of Strength looks to me more like Endurance.... meaning, whatever it takes, including another door! "Focused on process, our creative life retains a sense of adventure. Focused on product, the same creative life can feel foolish or barren." It takes Strength to face so many things that can/do block us.

    With everything speeded up the way it is now, it seems like it's easier to get on the fast track... that things don't have to take so long... that guidance comes quicker ... AND we don't have all that time to wait around procrastinating and making excuses (like we are too old ... too young...) We can't afford (spiritually) to stay blocked!!! It's time to move and we are being accommodated to do so. Do what presents. Follow your guidance. I, personally, have never regretted doing so. Now on the other hand, I could kick myself around the block for NOT following my guidance, and have regretted that many (and maybe every) time.

    I continue to do MP3 - which sometimes are Evening Pages, but I haven't missed in many weeks. I did about half of the Tasks.

    I was home alone on the weekend, my husband was out of town, and I really don't like to cook. So when he's gone... GREAT!! I DON'T HAVE TO COOK!!! But one of those mornings I made myself a nice breakfast! I was so proud of myself... it was a real "date."

    I truly love hearing from each of you creative heart sisters....
    Blessings,
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking of "strength" as "endurance" does pull the chapter together, Ginny--thanks! I feel truly blessed by the insights of you "heart sisters." :-)

      Delete
  5. I will admit it. I have been in such a whirlwind of activity that I have not had time to read Chapter 8 at all. However, I did the morning pages most days and had a fantastic artist's date, one I have been meaning to do since I started The Artist's Way. I was at the Big Sur Writer's Conference in Monterey a few minutes away from Carmel Beach. Before our first session began I raced to the beach with my camera to catch the exquisite light and color by the shore at 7AM. In the past it has always been foggy when I visited this beach but yesterday there was not a cloud in the sky. I spent a magical hour capturing the beginning of the day and even came up with a potential idea for a new picture book. My dream is to take a nature photography workshop one day. I also managed to collect 5 smooth stones!

    My writer's conference was wonderful, one of the best I have attended because it forced me to confront the problems in my WIP middle grade. Although it was daunting to deal my self doubt with all the criticism at times, I eventually realized the fixes in my manuscript will move me towards writing a better book.

    I look forward to a calmer few weeks to play a bit of catch up with this journey.

    June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting stuff, June! I love that you are doing so much with your camera lately. A new creative outlet--we creative types just can't seem to stop at one. Sounds like you got some of the good sort of criticism at your retreat. Excellent. Good luck on revisions!

      Delete
  6. Barbara Jean, I think you are way more creatively active than you give yourself credit for. Your blazingly strong blog presence is a fine example of your 'small' steps building to something that I, for one, admire.

    Kay, I too have left tasks to go back to, and don't have the 3 ring circus of weekday activity you have going on.

    Pam, your Russian lunch sounded like a real treat.

    Ginny, I love that you're calling us your creative heart sisters.

    June, was that the Andrea Brown Big Sur retreat? I did one back in December '09 and it was incredible but intense. Big Sur is magical.

    "Don't let the bastards get you down",she said, and where it's been at. The husband was quite ill, required me to drive him to 2 hospitals to get partial resolution. I have huge hospital phobia. It's also the 3rd anniversary of when I was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer, during which my husband had my back, so his turn to scare me. Getting better though. whew!

    So the ideal day would be we were both well enough to gallivant. My art date was to watch The CAve of Forgotten DReams, a documentary by Werner HErzog, an
    expedition into the Chauvet Cave in France. Some of the cave art dates back 30,000 years.

    I entered a writer contest by the deadline of 3/3. I signed up for two retreats and one writer day, one a month for the next three. It keeps me going.
    And if I don't do my 3 pages, my temperment changes where I can't get anything else done until I do.
    Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Maria - it was the Andrea Brown retreat but the locale for the March one is in Monterey. The Big Sur location happens in December. Very intense to say the least but very worthwhile. There is nothing like working with agents and editors to get a realistic picture of where you are with your work. Am feeling very energized by it all.

      Delete
    2. Hello Ladies,

      Finally checking in about Week #8 and that Recovering a Sense of Strength bit ..... hmmmm ....

      Barb, I loved what you said about "a sense of the possible" .... I, too, had wonderful parents and teachers, but I don't think that sense of POSSIBLE, as in ANYTHING IS, was modeled for me. I did not experience scarcity thinking necessarily, but abundant thinking was not the norm either. It reminds me how important that is to keep alive for my grown kids but especially my grandchildren.

      And Pam, how I could relate to your statement about "it's my turn to play in the dirt ..." and how your organizational skills get in the way of you having the time to take that turn. I have SO much work to do in this area. Got to the point where I stopped even bringing paper and pen to meetings as everyone figured I would take the notes and follow up. !!!

      Love the Endurance reminder, Ginny. That really is so much of it.

      And your AD, June - wow! My three favorite things .... sun, rocks and the beach!

      Sending healing energies to your husband (and you), Topangamaria. Talk about Endurance!

      My week was hectic with travel to Arizona and then back and forth to Seattle twice, but I did OK. Got four MP3s in, an Artist's Date of cutting magazine images while listening to a favorite LP, and finally getting up and dancing to some of my favorite pieces as I played the LP a second time. :)

      The Tasks were OK. No big insights. But for me the week was full of cool Woo-Woo (synchronicity). I've been a-waitin' these and am jazzed to share a few.

      Woo Woo One - my studio space .... wanting this as separate from our office ...been getting push back from my husband .... why do we need another space, he asks? Been frustrated with this and going back and forth with need vs want. Then spent a day and overnight with a dear friend on my return trip from AZ - she has a huge workspace in their basement and asked me about mine. Her encouragement was underscored when I found on the nightstand in her guest room where I slept a magazine featuring "creating your studio space". I have a renewed fire in my belly.

      Woo-Woo #2- I received an electronic newsletter from an organization I was involved with four or five years ago. They have restructured and have a new look and focus. It is exciting work. This organization's new name is Courage and Renewal :)! Old name was Courage to Teach (Parker Palmer's work). It was in my 18 months of work with them, that the seed came to soil for my first efforts into children's writing around one of my deepest held beliefs. When I perused the newsletter I found an article about this very subject and when I clicked on a link to read another article, somehow (!!!!!) my own blog appeared (Courageous Wonderings)! I looked and smiled. What a message. It got me to pull out my story and begin a rewrite for the first time in almost two years and revisit my blog for the first time in many months. Am so grateful for God's still small voice :)!

      In looking ahead to week nine's reading I see Recovering a Sense of Compassion .... my first reaction is yikes, I don't need more compassion I cannot even keep up with all the TAW tasks much less get to my blog or writing because I am so busy with the work of compassion. But then I wondered if this might be Compassion for Self. :) Hmmmmmmm

      Gorgeous blue sky and sun shining on a new blanket of white at my house this morning. Hope your week brings glorious moments.

      Margie

      Delete
    3. Wow, Maria--so many small steps entering the writer contest and signing up for the retreats and Writer's Day--you are definitely moving forward! My heart goes out to you dealing with your husband's health issues (and maybe still your own). Take good care of yourself.

      Delete
  7. Hi All,

    Today is sunny up here in the PNW and my reward for getting a sketch for a new illustration almost done was to take a ride on my bike and check out the beach. I am always amazed how clear the salt water is.

    I was only able to do my MP's 3 days. Lots going on but all good and heading to a purpose, preparing for our SCBWI Conference in April.

    We have had many friends with illnesses this week which was quite stressful but for the most part they are doing better.

    My sister asked me what I would like for my Birthday and offered a check to put towards my conferences. How's that for synchronicity...I was wondering how I was going to pay for both...:)
    Also, I lost a favorite necklas a couple of days ago. :(
    Then, I opened a package from my brother and tucked in among the papers was a beautiful turquoise necklas.

    On to Chapter 9 girls

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing like the PNW on a sunny day. I had no idea that snow was even forecast, and to wake up to snow on the ground and blue skies above was heavenly. I think I need to add a bicycle ride to my artist date schedule. Nice synchronicity, too, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you Barbara, something about this chapter felt less artistic and more textbook. However, I realized, after reading everyone’s posts, that I have garnered a new sense of strength just from being a part of this group. Thank you to each of your for helping me gain new strength for my artist.

    The overall theme I took from this chapter is just because I’m a grown-up doesn’t mean my artist is. I have to remember to admire her messy scribbles, just like I admired my kids, and allow her to create as she grows. I also need to work on Filling the Form since I have a lot of folded clothes and very few finished pages. I believe that Filling the Form will become easier as I learn to ask myself How can this loss serve me? If I can see any loss I experience as a gain in disguise, fear of rejection will lose it's hold on me.

    Without a doubt my favorite comment in this chapter, and possibly the entire book, has to be this one:

    Q. Do you know how old I’ll be by the time I
    learn_________?(Fill in the blank.)

    A. The same age you will be if you don’t.

    I LOVE that thought process. Like Barbara, my censor has consistently yelled at me, ”You are too young or too old.” I have never been the right age for anything. This comment is so liberating!

    My MP-3’s went well, six of seven days. My artist date was my best so far. Inspired by my journey through T.A.W. My daughter set up an artist station for our family. With her as our guide, we spent Sunday afternoon creating! What a gift to the mom and artist in me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Strength in numbers, as the saying goes! Yes, there's something great about doing this with a group of wonderful women/artist-kids. SO neat that your whole family got involved in the creative process last week, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Talk about checking in at the last minute!

    Was able to do MP3's every day and had a short and sweet artist date by hanging out at the library and bringing home about 10 picture books to savor with a nice cup of tea. So between that, the TAW reading and reading everyone's check-ins, all sorts of insights and inspirations have been hitting me on a regular basis on week 8.

    I really related to the Product and Process portion of this week. Lately I seem to have become a finished-product-oriented person. Sometimes to the point of actually becoming annoyed with the process because I just want to have the finished piece and be done with it. I realized however, that with that kind of thinking I was no longer enjoying my burgeoning illustration career. It was becoming as much of a drudgery as any office job I had ever complained about. The fun was being squeezed out. So this week, I started slowing down and savoring the sketches and the research, finding just the right color palette and all the revisions that ensued. I became much more present with what I was doing. It started to feel like playing again. I was very resistant to the concept when I first read it in the chapter, but then it was like a smack upside the head!

    The "true north" thing threw me a bit, but the one task that blew my mind was writing down 5 things I'm not allowed to do. I realized that I'm not allowed to be angry. It was one of those realizations that seem absurd, but realizing it is powerful juju. As a child it was frowned upon to show anger and I also managed to involve myself with so many relationships throughout the years with folks who were also uncomfortable with intense emotions. Being a rather passionate person, I found it difficult to hide those strong emotions. But lo and behold, I it seems that over the past few years I've managed to learn very well how to smash them down. I guess it finally just got too difficult to be real. What an eye opener to realize that had happened? What the heck! I'm not exactly sure what to do to turn that around, but I realize I need to be more honest, at least with myself and get back in touch with my feelings. I thought it might be fun to do some illustrations that are a bit more on the dark side, since most of what I do lately is pretty cutesy. So, I'm going to give that a shot coming up here pretty soon. Small steps, right?

    As far as gain disguised at loss, I've had plenty of opportunity the past month to put that to the test. I've been working on seeing a really big loss that's coming up soon, as a potential adventure. I'll tell you, life is a lot less stressful when you're able to rejigger your perception and see things in a more positive light. Not that I'm able to do it 100% of the time, but it's getting easier to pull off more often than not, lately.

    I loved reading everyone's posts and checking out the blog roll this week. I especially loved Ginny's summation of Chapter 8 with the word "endurance." Perfect!

    Also, I'm sending as much healing energy as I can muster to you and your husband Topangamaria!

    I wanted to comment on everyone's post this week, because I related to so much y'all were saying. But alas, it's late and I'm about to pass out. I'm just hoping this post is coherent. I'm too tired to proof it, hee hee (sorry). Just know that I think you all definitely are, as Ginny says, creative heart sisters!

    Cheers,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great post, Linda; I feel like I've been on your trip through Chapter 8 and this week with you. I especially relate to your comment about rejiggering (perfect word) one's perception, which I have done a lot since starting TAW. I'm interested to see what illustrations more on the dark side you come up with, too :)

      Delete
    2. oooooh, lots of richness in your post, Linda. Thank you. I agree with Kay on loving that word REJIGGER and the shape shifting it brings to mind.

      Thank you too for the words about anger. I share that but am not sure I have allowed myself to realize it. Your words have me thinking.

      Delete
    3. I love that you are rediscovering your art as play, Linda! And I agree with Kay and Margie, "rejiggering" is a perfect word in the context of perspective. :-)

      Delete