Saturday, March 31, 2012

Check-In: Week Twelve

Recovering a Sense of Faith

"Adventures don't begin until you get into the forest. That first step is an act of faith."

I loved this opening quote from Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart. It's so true for us as artists, and for those of us who write, it's a reminder that Story begins with Change--either initiated by the protagonist or thrust upon him.

I also like Cameron's follow-up that when we enter the forest on the path that is right for us, "we have a surefootedness." We know what to do next, even if we don't know exactly where it will take us. "By trusting, we learn to trust."

The Andre Gide quote takes the faith required to embark on a journey even further: "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." As one who has been out of sight of land on a small sailboat for days at a time, I understand this concept on a visceral level. I remember vividly being tossed about during a storm at sea and asking my companion if we were going to die. His profound answer: "Yes. But not tonight." I survived--and yes, I discovered new lands--both outside my self and within my self.

Cameron makes much of dreams this week:  

"Each of us has an inner dream that we can unfold if we will just have the courage to admit what it is. And the faith to trust our own admission." 

"Our truest dream for ourselves is always God's will for us."

"It is the inner commitment to be true to ourselves and follow our dreams that triggers the support of the universe."

For me, the focus on dreams--the many exercises meant to help us discover, acknowledge and  clarify our dreams--has been the most significant part of my journey through TAW this go-through. One of my dreams is to help others discover, acknowledge, clarify and realize their dreams, and my goal in the next two weeks is to put together a proposal for a "creative dreaming/creative living" course to offer through my local community college's community ed program. The deadline for proposals is April 15, so I have my work cut out for me. If any of you have resources other than The Artist's Way you'd recommend I use as I develop the course, please, let me know what they are!

Other concepts and quotes from this chapter that resonated:

Abundance

"We have bought the message of our culture: this world is a vale of tears and we are meant to be dutiful and then die. The truth is that we are meant to be bountiful and live." 

Mystery

"Creativity--like human life itself--begins in darkness."

"Mystery is at the heart of creativity. That, and surprise..."

"How to raise the best ideas: Let them grow in dark and mystery. Let them form on the roof of our consciousness. Let them hit the page in droplets. Trusting this slow and seemingly random drip, we will be startled one day by the flash of Oh! That's it!"

Play

"In order to nurture our creativity, we require a sense of festivity, even humor..."

"It is a paradox of creative recovery that we must get serious about taking ourselves lightly. We must work at learning to play."

"Restive in our lives, we want to do something. But we think it needs to be the right something, by which we mean something important. [The truth is,] WE are what's important! " [emphasis mine]

And perhaps my favorite: "Life is mean to be an artist date." :-)


This is the last chapter in The Artist's Way, but the Epilogue and Appendix are well worth spending time on--so we'll officially "meet" on these pages for two more weeks: to comment on Chapter 12, to have time to read through the back matter, and then, after my final post next weekend, to comment on the back matter and Cameron's final words.

Next week I also want to post images of the playful work you've done over the last three months we've been meeting here: something you've created that is emblematic of your journey. If you haven't yet sent me a j-peg and you have something you'd like to share, please send it on! bhicksgvv at att dot net.

Cheers!

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I've had a wonderful 12 weeks -- and thanks for giving us a week or two more.

    Check-in:
    MORNING PAGES: I only missed Friday. It's been of excellent value and I've put a regular 'morning pages' on my calendar for the future. The reminder is for every Tuesday, but that won't keep me from doing more. AND ... I've put a reminder to plan an artist date at least once a month.

    ARTIST DATE: I still have some ideas, I haven't done, so I'll make sure to do them soon. This last week, I headed off to see the combo of movies: The Artist/Iron Lady, but my Sunday listings didn't work on Wednesday. Instead, I saw the LORAX in 3-D. Amazing, fun. What I learned was that a bit of play -- like watching a movie -- gave me energy after I had felt all worn out.

    SYNCHRONICITY: I met someone near our art class room who said: "None of the paintings are large enough. I want a very large painting of an orchid." Oh, the ideas that come to mind on how to draw and do an Orchid painting ... the ideas will drip through. Anyhow, the idea connects with the Oil Painting Workshop I'll be doing in June where the focus will be on still life. Might even buy myself an orchid to help ... BUT! even though I want a live orchid, if I have to carry it back and forth in the car, it just might have to be a silk or some kind of phony orchid.

    ISSUE: Recognizing that coordinating stuff sucks up the time. I looked back at my morning pages and over and over I found that I either did or planned to WORK before PLAY. One of my old core beliefs was to WORK BEFORE PLAY. So... that's one old core belief that needs to be set aside.

    All I've done this week for my creative self outside of my clay class was 1) draw a shape to use to build a mold for plates or trays, 2)visit the Crocker museum and sketch a couple of ideas from the Edgar Payne show and 3) photograph potential places to paint oak trees with the plein arts group.

    The Edgar Payne sketches were of 1) a composition highlight and 2)a 'view' of Sycamores one of my plein air friends want to use as an approach to painting Oak Trees.

    Again, thank you all for helping me feel a part of something much, much bigger than the sum of the parts! :)

    Pam Wilkinson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh at your paragraph about "All I've done this week for my creative self..." I think that was quite a bit, and probably MUCH more than you would have done three months ago. Plus--don't forget!--seeing the Lorax was for your creative self too!

      Thanks for your enthusiasm for the creative process, Pam. It's been a pleasure sharing your journey.

      Delete
    2. Pam, I've always believed I had to work before I can play, as well. What a difference in my life since I've allowed myself to play in order to be able to work. How cool that you saw the Lorax! What a perfect way to charge your creative batteries!

      Delete
  2. Hi!

    Yes! I do need to work at learning to play. Not as easy as I'd hope it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not my official check-in — I'll save that for later if I'm lucky. Just want to say, I love the idea of a "God-Jar"! I'll be looking through my containers to find a suitable one, maybe tin, maybe ceramic, but definitely not plastic! I'll put my cares and burdens inside, give them to God, and be relieved. This container will sit right beside my coffee cup warmer where I can look at it and use it as I"m waking up in the morning and doing my MPs. Thanks, TAW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! Glad we have a little more time, Barb. I just read Chapter 12 today, since I was out of town most of the week. I'd really like to do the last chapter some justice, after such an amazing 3 month journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto on Linda's 'Whew!" I want more time. Crazy, busy week. I will get to my check in soon, I hope.
      YES, an amazing three months. I am going for three more.

      Delete
  5. First of all, what a beautiful dream you have, Barb! You have definitely realized that dream to quite an extent these past 3 months, I'll tell ya. You've helped me so much, between making this all possible and also your own personal posts are always so inspiring! Thanks a million and good luck with your proposal for the course! I'll be sending you tons of positive energy on the 15th!

    "Our truest dream for ourselves is always God's will for us." That makes more sense to me now than ever before. It kind of goes along with the whole Joseph Campbell "follow your bliss" thing. I have always been attracted to that thinking, but in the back of my mind I guess I always thought, "yeah, sounds great but… really?" Well, I am finally starting to realize… yes… REALLY!!

    Things are really starting to make sense and positive strides are being made in my life. I'm becoming more forgiving of the folks and situations that have waylaid my progress in the past, because all that resentment was holding me back even more than the original perpetrator. But I am now much more protective of my artist. I've learned that I don't need the approval of others, I need to love and approve of my artist child. So with all that protection, love and approval I've had the confidence and belief in myself to forge ahead and really get somewhere with my budding illustration career.

    After completing most of the tasks for Week 12 I also realized although the career is taking off finally, I am still procrastinating with sketching for pure enjoyment (as opposed to just work assignments) and with playing with paints and writing the humorous poems I enjoy writing. In short, PLAYING! I guess I am just afraid of not being good enough… of failing. A little afraid of success as well, because if I am successful, there is a chance I could "stop" being successful… fail eventually. I never really understood that about myself before. But in the past 3 months between the reading and tasks and also hearing what all y'all shared, my eyes have become much more open. For this I am so thankful. These life-long issues don't seem nearly as insurmountable now that I see them for what they are and now I know what to do about it. It's going to take continued work and PLAY, let's not forget play, but I am rearing to go and forge on and ahead!

    I also really tried to delve deeply into my heart and find out what my truest dream was, while doing the tasks. And although being a children's illustrator is definitely a dream of mine, I also had a couple more. I realized I want to paint. I keep procrastinating on picking up a brush. I even had the synchronicity of a friend giving me some extra acrylic paint, brushes and canvases a few months ago, but I haven't gone near it yet. So if that is God's or the universe's will for me, I had better get on it!

    The chapter on Mystery really resonated with me as well. In fact, I heard an interview with Jonah Lehrer author and journalist who writes on the topics of psychology and neuroscience is author of the book "Imagine", on Fresh Air the other day. The things he was discussing really seemed to fit in with what we've been working with the past few months particularly Week 12. It's pretty interesting, if you'd like to give it a listen: http://www.npr.org/2012/03/21/148607182/fostering-creativity-and-imagination-in-the-workplace

    "Life is meant to be an artist date." I love that. More and more, sloooooowly but surely, that is becoming true for me. I think I am finally starting to "… get serious about taking" myself "lightly!"

    Cheers!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thanks so much for sharing your heart about how this journey has helped you KNOW your heart. What better result could we ask for?! I really want to check out the book you mention--"Imagine." Thanks for the link to the interview with the author.

      I submitted my community ed proposal a couple of days ago--I've changed the focus to make it a class on writing for children using a playful approach and using some of Cameron's exercises. It's called "Child's Play: Writing Books for Children." Here's a description: "All work and no play makes Jack (or Jill) a dull writer! Invite your inner child out to play in this innovative, hands-on approach to writing for children. While you'll learn how to identify, analyze and create several different types of children's books and stories, you'll also learn ways to jump-start your creativity, mine your memory and imagination for great ideas and use your observations and emotional life to enrich your stories. Students will leave this class with the knowledge and skills to create stories for children that are true to their personalities and experience of the world and that children will want to read over and over again. Differences in writing for the traditional and digital markets will also be addressed."

      I've received notice that they got the proposal--now I just have to wait!

      Delete
  6. Thank you dear women of The Artist's Way! It been a fun part of the journey, my thanks to each of you... and you, especially, Barb! You have been a great facilitator of this magic. Like Cameron said... "As artists, we belong to an ancient and holy tribe." and my tribe has just grown knowing each of you and reading your input. "Art is an act of the soul: ours is a spiritual community." J.C. As I continue on my journey of expansion here on this beautiful planet, I'm better for having met up with all of you.
    Much love and blessings till we meet again,
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't it been great meeting other members of our tribe? Thanks for being with us, Ginny--and thanks to every one of you. :-)

      Delete