Sunday, January 1, 2012

Welcome to The Artist's Way!

To all of you joining me on this journey through The Artist's Way:

I've let the world get in the way of my creative life in the last couple of years. I've started this blog as a way to jump-start my flagging creativity and, I hope, to help you move forward in your creative work, too. I'd like the Platform 9 3/4 blog to be a place where creatives can come to rejuvenate by reading the best books out on creative thinking and the creative process, interacting with the texts, and sharing their experiences and insights with other creatives in a way that will enlighten and encourage all of us and hold each of us accountable to our personal vision for our art, whatever that might be.

I've gone through Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way in the past and found that the exercises helped me identify and rectify the things that were keeping me from going where I wanted to go in my creative life. I think it's the perfect book for a jump-start and I hope you'll find that's true for you as well.

I confess I'm figuring things out as I go, but here's how I see Platform 9 3/4 working: Every weekend, I'll send an email reminder to participants with a link to the blog, where I will have posted a short overview of the chapter we'll read in the coming week. Reader comments will be open so you can post as you wish during the week. Post once during the week or as often as you wish. No one should feel obligated to post at all, but making a commitment to do so at least once each week is a great way to hold yourself accountable for reading the text and doing the work--and to encourage the rest of us on our creative journeys. I'd like the comments to function as a conversation, so I encourage you to read and respond to the other participants' posts as well as sharing your own interaction with the text and your experiences doing the exercises. Let's create some synergy!

Your assignment this week:

1) Purchase The Artist's Way (or dig it out from wherever it's been hiding).
2) Look over the Table of Contents and read the Introduction, "Spiritual Electricity: The Basic Principles" and "The Basic Tools."
3) Respond to this post with a short self-introduction. Use your full name, your first name or a nickname--whatever you're comfortable with. Tell us what your primary form of creative expression is: writing? painting? knitting? cooking?
4) Based on your reading, also let us know what you hope to achieve in your creative life by reading and interacting with Cameron's book--and with the rest of us!

Note: Several of you have commented that you would be willing to pay me for my time for organizing and leading the group. I am interested in doing this in the future--for other books related to the creative life as well as Cameron's--as a way to supplement my income. But you are my Beta group, helping me work out the kinks to see if such an enterprise is viable. At the end of our time together, I'll ask you to fill out a response form, including whether you found the experience worthwhile enough that you'd be willing to pay for it, and how much you'd be willing to pay.

I'm excited to see where The Artist's Way will take me--and where it will take you. Welcome!

41 comments:

  1. Is this where I respond to #3 and #4? If so, I am Ann, a fulltime RVer for 7 years along with my husband. I would say my primary form of creativity is to play the piano, constantly learning new repertoire, mostly from the classics. Second, because of our travels I began a blog to keep family and friends informed about our most interesting trips, including photos. I need to learn how to make my blogs more fun to read! Lastly, I am Barbara's cousin, and I have almost all her books, those for adults and those for children. Yay! for Barbara! Thanks for doing this and for allowing me to be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Ann, thanks for clarifying--participants' introductions and any continuing comments are made by posting to the "Comments" section. And welcome, cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm Pam and I wallowed through the Artist's Way in 2005. I'm ready to do it again. I promise I won't cheat and use what I've done in the past even though I may look at a 2005 week after I do the assignment in 2012.

    I'm 'retired' and am active in the Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators and currently serve as the Critique Group coordinator for the San Joaquin and Sacramento Valleys -- all the way to Tahoe here in Northern California. By the way, I met Barbara at a Critique Group when I lived in Seattle.

    I'm also involved with a Fine Arts Group here in Sun City Roseville (SCR) where my sweetheart Cary Michael and I help make up the title cards for artworks hung in our Fine Arts Room. SCR also has a Creative Arts room where I'm learning how to shape clay and then, after bisque firing, glaze the works.

    From time to time I also volunteer for related visual arts organizations, BUT one does need time to create!!

    I participate in a Plein Air group that tries to paint out three Thursdays a month with a critique on the last Thursday.

    In November, I met the NaNoWriMo challenge of writing a 50,000 word novel -- more like chick-lit. This month, besides starting the Artist's Way, I plan to focus on the visual arts with the same intensity I did NaNoWriMo. At the rate of about 1,000 words an hour, that means I should spend at least 50 hours in the visual arts this month.

    What did I write? Well, at the rate I was writing, it's hard to know whether I wrote what was in mind. I plan to give it a first and fresh look in February. Perhaps there will be a nugget of story to develop as either an adult novel or a children's story.

    What I hope to achieve: establish a creative focus between writing children's stories and the visual arts OR decide to be comfortable muddling through with all of them. After all, the visual arts of drawing, painting, shaping and glazine clay all help one another, in contrast with the linear world of words.

    BUT! Words and illustration can fit together.

    I started assembling a BLOG yesterday and if it doesn't strain my creative time, I'll try to finish it today.

    My sharing may be visual or wordy.

    As we proceed, I'll feel comfortable with critique or encouragement re: my stronger skills. Currently, I think I have more imagination than skill in any of my artistic endeavors.

    I look forward to our interaction.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm Linda Silvestri. I'm an illustrator and secretly, an aspiring writer. I've been attempting to break into the children's market, (emphasis on picture books.)

    I've attempted "The Artist's Way" several times over the past 15 years, but always seem to get stuck in the same place, halfway through it. However, even halfway, I still manage to gain wonderful insight, tremendous creative spurts and morning pages as well as "artist's dates" are still a big part of my life.

    I'm hoping by joining this group and becoming a bit more accountable, I just might finish the whole book. I can only imagine the insights and creative unblocking that might ensue then!

    Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this project.

    I'm stoked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome, Pam and Linda! It will be great to have visual artists among us...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barbara and friends on the Artist's Way! What a wonderful journey we've picked as creatives! (Although, I believe every single person is a creative...)
    I'm a painter on the Artist's Way. I love my life and I love my path.
    I read Julia Cameron's book and listened to some of her teaching tapes years ago, so it will be fun to re-read now.
    Thanks, Barbara for setting this up for all of us...
    The best is yet to come.
    Happy New Year new friends and old.
    Blessings,
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome, Ginny. I agree with you that every person is creative--although I've heard many people say it isn't true of them. I think everyone has a creative urge and some form of creative expression that makes her feel more alive when she's engaged in it. Creativity in its essence is a process of finding solutions for problems. Thank God for problems--they give us a chance to create!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Everyone. I first went through The Artist's Way with Barb about 18 years ago, and have been wanting to go through it again ever since, so I am very grateful that she has taken the initiative to make this happen.

    I am a nonfiction book editor by trade, but I find my creative expression through things I do with my hands--knitting, cooking and decorating.

    One of the things I liked about the book is the encouragement to write 3 pages a day--Barb, are we supposed to start right in with that?

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz, I can't believe it's been 18 years since we did this together! (We're NOT that old...) So happy to be doing it with you again.

    If you've been through The Artist's Way before, you know that Morning Pages are a part of Cameron's prescription for creative recovery. Go ahead and start right away if you know what you're doing! If you're going through TAW for the first time, you'll want to read about Morning Pages first, then find an appropriate notebook and get started. By the time I add next weekend's post for Week One: Recovering a Sense of Safety, everyone who's committed to the program should have started. It will be interesting to hear how Morning Pages work for everyone--especially newbies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello, i'm julie, an old friend of barb's when she lived in whittier and we worked together at polly's pies and went to granda hts Friends church...guess that was 35 years ago? i'm a high school visual arts teacher (studio/contemporary art and video/film) and funny, until i went to order the book i thought this was about julia MARGARET cameron, the 19th cent. photographer! :-) :-)

    well, i'm starting a new creative venture by (re)learning how to crochet (my student teacher is planning a yarn bomb on campus this month :-) so i signed up for a beginning crochet class starting this week, but my primary purpose in joining was to renew my friendship with barb...

    hello, liz! how are you and how is your sis mary? (brother bob?)

    and thank you, barb, for inviting me to the group!

    :-) julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I looked high and low for my copy of The Artist's Way and realize I probably loaned it to someone but who knows. . .? I do have a copy of Walking In This World by Cameron, which seems to be the same thing, including an intro to Morning Pages, so I'm wondering if I might just use that (?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome, Julie and Val. Julie--so funny about Julia Margaret Cameron--who knew?! I hope you'll enjoy going through The Artist's Way anyway. And Val, I don't know Walking in This World, so I'm not sure you'll be on the same page, so to speak, with the rest of us. I know at least one other participant has ordered her book and won't have it till the 10th or so, so even if you get a late start, if you can find a copy it would probably work better than using a different text...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Friends!
    My name is Barbara and Barbara Jean and I were in a writer's group together in Ventura, CA. Barbara Jean is such a creative inspiration! My life has pulled me away from writing and I need to tap into my creativity again and this seems like the perfect fit! I have done some of Julai Cameron's work before but didn't fully commit. I think the support of others will be most helpful! Looking forward -

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you are joining us, Barbara--I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Everyone,
    I'm June and was also in Barbara Bietz's and Barbara Jean's writer's group. I read and practiced The Artist's Way when it was first published. A few weeks ago, I returned to doing the morning pages to keep me on track with my other writing. It is such a great way to reve my idea engines! Happy New Year everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm happy to be in a group with you again, June--welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi everyone, after reading Linda's post above, I feel like I could've written it! :)

    I am mainly an illustrator, but the past three years I have participated in a November challenge called PiBoIdMo (Picture Book Idea Month). Through PiBo, I have found that I really enjoy writing picture books.

    I have started the Artist's Way a number of times, but never seem to stick with it until the end. With the help of this group, I am hoping to stay committed to the end of the book.

    It's nice to meet you and thank you for allowing me to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello fellow Artist Wayans! (Wayians? Wayonians? Wayoids?)
    I'm Lee and I've been writing children's books for close to 30 (ack!) years. I've attempted the Artist's Way in the past - - Val and I even attended a weekend retreat/workshop led by Julia Cameron - - but have never managed to stick to book all the way through. This year I.Am.Determined. I spent the majority of 2011 promoting my latest book for children, which meant doing little to no writing, so I need a jump start. Thank you, Barbara, for bringing us all together! It's a pleasure to 'meet' such a diversely talented group.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome, Loni and Lee--may this be the time you both FINISH The Artist's Way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. HI, Everyone! My name is Dianne and I know Barbara Jean from SCBWI Vta. Picture books and poetry are my first love, but I also have a rough draft of a middle grade novel that I would love to dig back into.
    I did a "modified" version of THE ARTIST'S WAY many years ago, and I'm looking forward to going through it in the company of so many wonderful people. I think the energy of the group will keep me honest!
    As I was reading through the chapter on the basic principles, I wrote down three goals that I hope I address as we work our way through the book.
    1) Tap into my creativity.
    2) Dig deep.
    3) Open the flood gates.

    That's what I'm hoping for and I'm looking forward to "meeting" you all and working together.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome, Dianne. Those are great goals for this journey. I felt a little fear as I read through the chapter titles and realized what I'm letting myself in for--I'm remembering now there is some scary stuff to address if I'm honest with myself--which I very much want to be...

    What am I letting myself in for?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! I am Marcy. Barb is my former neighbor (and I miss her! I am a Psychologist who, aspiring since childhood to be a writer, has only occasionally tasted publishing success. I expected retirement to yield lots of time to write. Alas! To date, I have lacked the discipline to resist all the other exciting activities that take me away from my desk. I am excited about
    The Artist's Way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Marcy, I'm so glad you're joining us. I miss you too, but I'm glad we can still get together for dinner and Scrabble! And don't let her fool you, fellow TAW-ers--she is a marvelous writer. I was in a critique group with her for five years and I know.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great way to start the new year. I too got partway through The Artist's Way once upon a time long ago. I need to do this because I feel stuck in neutral, with my writing and illustrating. Excellent idea & company to do this with.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad to have you along, topangamaria. May this be the time you complete your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Everyone,
    My name is Jennifer and thanks to my writing critique partner, topangamaria, I'm joining you for the Artist's Way Adventure. I bought the book several months ago & carry it with me (almost) everywhere. But as Julia Cameron says: Reading the book is not the same as using it. I'm looking forward to this 14 week journey where I'll actually read the book AND use it to help me release the creative potential inside me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Jennifer, happy to have you along for the ride. :-) Check back tomorrow for the next post on Cameron's Week One, "Recovering a Sense of Safety."

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello,
    I am Margie and a writing bud mentioned in November - for at least the third time since meeting him two years ago - that perhaps I might consider doing the Artist's Way. I decided to start on Jan 2nd. I also decided to take a three month leave (while TAWing) from one of my writing groups and a follow up response from one wonderful friend in that group directed me to this website. SO ..... how very nice to have fellow travelers and nudgers!!

    I am a retired high school teacher - 33 years of BLISS. I loved it and now I miss it. One dream for the new me is to write for children. Four years in, I feel overwhelmed and unconfident. SO ..... this first dive into writing First Pages and exploring that 'sense of safety' has been interesting. And an Artist's Date .... well, that is taking some real nerve!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm glad you found your way to Platform 9 3/4, Margie. I hope you'll find support and accountability here to help you reach your creative goals. And if you're writing for children, I hope you've discoverd the SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators)!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Barbara,
    Am I too late? I hope not. I just found my book today. I am Stephanie Parsley. I write. Through this study, I hope to get into a deeper writing routine and recover some creative confidence and faith. I am opening the door to whatever this journey sends my way ... and looking forward to it. Thank you for hosting this.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  31. And I am friends with Dianne White. That's how I found out about this group!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Not too late, Stephanie! We are reading Week One this week, so if you zoom through the introductory material to get a feel for the program you should be fine. I hope the grouip will help you stay focused on your writing goals--and help you reach them. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Checking in late, Barbara, because I didn't get my book until Saturday. I am a bit anxious because I didn't realize how much work this group will be, but I have the time. Or at least I can make the time.

    My name is Kay Wolverton Ito and I'm a closet creative. I am all over the map and need to focus my creativity on something so I can get a sense of accomplishment. So hopefully some time management skills will be part of this. : ) I am mostly into paper crafts these days. I've often fantasized about being a children's book author, so my goal is to take the leap from fantasy to an honest attempt at making something happen.

    Thanks for the invitation, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am even later in checking in than Stephanie and Kay, Barb, sorry.

    I'm Nancy Foulke, an author and an illustrator who paints.
    I met Barb on the airporter at Seatac this summer,on the way to Chautauqua.
    A member of SCBWI, Seattle and International, I have been published as an illustrator in the educational market.
    Many tries at Picture books, one that is "comming along" and have also been working on a Middle Grade novel, plus my sometimes struggle with illustrations.

    I have thought of doing the Artist's Way, but when you mentioned it Barb, I thought, why not now!

    I like the idea of working with a group of likeminded people and I hope to explore my feelings and discover how to get it done.
    I can identify with Kay with time management skills.
    Thanks, Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nancy, I'm glad you've decided to join us. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I know that I am way late in getting on board, but I have begun the reading and started my morning pages. I am actually excited about the writing because it is an outlet to put on paper things that I have intended to write, but no pressure to make it "good."

    I am in a fog about the artist's date. If I understand it correctly, almost anything I do can qualify as an artist's date (even slicing vegetables!), as long as I do it by myself. Can someone help me here?

    I'm not sure whate exactly I hope to get from this "course," but I was surprised, while reading about the creative vs. censor side, to have things come to mind, things that I had wanted to do, but have put aside because of feeling inadequate. So I guess I will see where this takes me.

    Thanks for spurring me on, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  37. After writing the previous post, I went back and re-read Barb's first post, as well as all the comments, and I realized that I have not adequately introduced myself. My first inclination is to feel way over my head among all you artist types. However, I am certain that that would not be allowed here, so I will try to ignore those feelings.

    I have been an at-home mom for more than 25 years, homesechooled my four kids, and would like to feel the crativity flow in many areas of life--guitar, baking, cake decorating, teaching Sunday School, etc.

    Just want to say hi to Liz. It's been a long time! And Julie, you probably don't remember me, but I was part of that group when you worked with Barb at Polly's Pies. You also went to Whittier College, I think. Nice to "see" you here!

    ReplyDelete
  38. So glad you figured out how to get here, Jan! Read the responses to the January 14 post for more insights on the Artist Dates. In part, they are an effort to get your inner artist out to play! Maybe Cameron should call them "play-dates" instead of just dates. :-) I'm excited to see where this journey will take you. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for your encouragement, Barbie!

    ReplyDelete