Three Weeks Further On
How's everybody out there doing? Are you still writing Morning Pages? (I missed five days on a hectic business trip but am back to doing them every morning.) What about Artist Dates? (I took a marvelous walk today through a fragrance garden and then along a boardwalk through a wetland preserve filled with water lilies, bullfrogs, blue bottles and birds. Beautiful for all my senses!)
Anybody else with anything to report? Any more images to share? (Jan sent me several, which you'll find below. This is our woman who felt like she didn't belong but then signed up for a watercolor class. And check out the cake pops! Talk about creating from a sense of play!)
My news:
1) The house I've placed an offer on is not yet mine, but getting closer! It's a short sale, so anything can happen, but I'm hopeful. All my life I've told myself that I would never be able to buy a house without having a man to help me with the process. And here I am. :-) Morning pages helped me realize that buying a home was something I wanted to do and gave me the impetus to move forward with it. Yay MP3's!
2) The book I helped a group of four grade school/middle school girls write between Christmas and New Years is out and available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble--and it's adorable! You can also find it at https://www.createspace.com/3806081. I spent a full day with them, they had one day to draft their part of the story, and we gathered again the next day for a second full day writing workshop. The girls are thrilled that they will actually earn royalties!
3) The school I went to as a child has invited me to do several classroom presentations at the end of May. I have an art project based on one of my picture books, Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli, that I'll be doing with them. I am so excited to be going back to the school where I first discovered I wanted to be a writer! I also recently helped a local teacher write a grant proposal for me to do a series of writing workshops with her students next year and publish their work in a classroom book. Fingers crossed!
![]() |
| Jan: Three Candles |
![]() |
| Jan: Party Cakepops |
![]() |
| Jan: Cakepop Menagerie |
![]() |
| Jan: Everything's Just Ducky |






Barb, I love your new house! Maybe I will get to visit you there someday! How exciting! Love Jan's artwork, also. Yum!
ReplyDeleteI have done a little writing since our course was over. We moved up to Cheyenne in our 5th wheel to work at the KOA and I anticipated many sight-seeing trips to blog about. Hubby was diagnosed with myeloma, though, and has been in hospital getting chemotherapy, so plans are on hold. Gradually we'll get back to our adventures out and about. I thought about blogging about our "adventure" with cancer, but that might be a little depressing. I prefer writing about exciting, positive experiences! Doctor says hubby will be okay, though. That's positive!
I hope everyone of you ladies are enjoying your renewed creativity. I miss hearing about it. Sure enjoyed the course, Barb. Are you planning another one?
Blessings to all,
Ann
Ann,
DeleteSo sorry to read that your husband is dealing with myeloma. That is tough on both of you. Hang on to the positive words from the doc!
God bless you!
Jan
So sorry to hear you are going through this. I'm glad the doctor is positive. Remember, we Rvers go through things on the way to something better. You will go through this and end up someplace better!
DeleteWill keep you in our prayers!
Love seeing the photos! That house looks adorable -- quite the artist's haven. Peaceful and cozy. Also, the painting, Jan, and the cakepops! That is some talent.
ReplyDeleteAnn, oh, it is not a bad idea to blog about your "adventure" with cancer. You never know how it might positively work in the lives of those who read it. If the thought came to you, then maybe that thought has some weight. You never know. But I don't blame you for not blogging it either. Sounds like you have your hands full.
No writing here. Not for a long time. No morning pages. No nothing, but diapers and poop and dinners and laundry and shuttling around a teenager. BUT, in the midst of it all, I have made progress that I attribute to TAW: finding and creating a workspace for myself in my home (which we moved into about 8 months ago). It has been a challenge. It took a lot of cleaning out of clutter this past week. But now, I have hope. I have a space that truly feels like mine (reminiscent of the writing space I loved in my old home). So I plan on getting some work done in the coming weeks.
I will look forward to reading updates.
Love to all and especially, strength to Ann.
Steph
Thanks, Stephanie, for your kind words. The watercolor class has been fun and challenging, definitely stretching me.
DeleteGood for you for making yourself your own space!
Stephanie,
DeleteThanks for your comments. I've been thinking about blogging about our Cancer "adventure". Not quite sure how to go about it yet. Still cogitating!
YAY! Stephanie for getting your own space. I got a new (to me) desk for Mother's Day and it has made a world of difference in my productivity. Sometimes, just feeling like a writer, makes you want to write.
DeleteBarbie! Your (soon-to-be) house is SO cute! I am excited to visit you there! And congratulations on your upcoming school projects! Very cool that you get to go back to your old school. No doubt they are very proud of you.
ReplyDeleteOh, today I opened a box of books and found an old CoUniBus songbook. I thought of you as I went through it. Memories!
Oh, and congratulations, Barb, on your girls' book being published! That is so exciting, for you as well as for them.
ReplyDeleteIt's so good to hear from you-all. I've been wondering about how to communicate again.
ReplyDeleteI've been doing morning pages (almost) every Tuesday. And synchronicity happens more often than I expect.
I decided to focus on 'entering shows' this month and lo and behold a very easy entry opportunity showed up so I'm showing three paintings at Umpqua Bank in Lincoln, CA and this Saturday, I'll be showing some clay works along with others in my clay class -- again in Lincoln in Beerman Plaza along with the Clay Fest.
On the last day of a three-day oils workshop by Don Sahli held at Patris Gallery in Sacramento, we'll be able to show our wet works during Second Saturday.
WOW! A 'showing' artist needs a lot of time to get the stuff together. Hardly any time to paint and do all the other stuff of life.
I'm almost spending enough time revising a story that I wrote during last November's NaNoWriMo. I have a late June deadline for re-submission to an editor who reviewed it at an SCBWI conference. Frankly, it isn't easy to work on since it covered my life since I lost my 9-year old son 36 years ago. It's told via letters between Mom and son.
Our household good news is that Cary's wet macro degeneration in his right eye is responding well to the shots in the eye.
Thanks for the opportunity to share.
Pam W
Pam,
DeleteHave fun with your NaNoWriMo story. Wow, just that you entered that competition blows my mind away. All the best for GREAT success!
So good to hear from all of you!! What a life we all have! Barb, saying a prayer that your house deal goes through... Love to all, Ginny
ReplyDeleteHello Platform-ers!
ReplyDeleteIt so good to catch up with you! Barbara, your house looks like the PERFECT writers den! Jan, those cake pops look to pretty to eat. But, if I were closer, I would be willing to give it a try :)
Sadly, in an effort to finish my W.I.P., I was not keeping up with my morning pages. However, that backfired, and my writing was not up to par. Now, I'm back to my MP3's and moving forward at top speed. (Yipee!)
Additionally, a writing friend gave me a copy of Julia Cameron's The Vein of Gold, which I am beginning next week to continue my path along The Artist's Way.
Lastly, I've been blogging! This week I entered my first blogfest for Flash Fiction, hosted by Cherie Reich, and I made it to the FINALS! You can read my 300 word story at my blog: Scribbles From Jenn or you can read about it here, if you want to vote on the finalists.
Overall I, like many of you, have been very busy living life to it's fullest. However, reflecting on my status as a finalist in the blogfest, I realized that I would have never be this close to releasing the Artist in me had I not been part of this group. So,THANK YOU! I am so grateful for this group and the permission it has given me to set my Artist FREE!
Congratulations, and good luck, Jenn!
DeleteThanks Janis :D
Delete