I'm so pleased to add these images from the TAW team--if you haven't yet shared, please send me a j-peg of something you created during the last three months as we journeyed on the Artist's Way together, and I'll post it. If you haven't done so already, make sure to check the last post for other images. I added several during the week, and you won't want to miss them!
 |
| Margie: Artist Altar ("Where I meditate, pray, think. I got myself a BIG God Box!") |
 |
| Margie: Studio-To-Be ("I made and painted the silk pillow on the rocker.") |
 |
| Maria: Artist Totem |
 |
| Linda: Selected Illustrations |
 |
| Pam: Cape Cod Bog |
Wishing you great good luck with your new class/teaching, Barbara. With that description how could they resist?
ReplyDeleteI just read STeal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon which is about being creative, quick read, curious innovative approach...and
How We Decide by JOnah Lehrer, who has an even newer title about being creative too. He taps
something similar and parallel to TAW...
page 107..."How do we regulate our emotions? The answer is surprisingly simple: by thinking about them." ...which is too simple a summation
of what he goes on about, but what I think doing the 3MP does for one, which was the most powerful & helpful aspect of TAW for me.
I noticed on Amazon.com there are a couple of TAW journals put out by Julia herself, which might be a good way to keep the TAW intent alive, possibly worth checking out....
I can't quite bear to do the last pages, to finalize this journey. It's been extra illuminating doing all this with all of you.
There are so many wonderful books out there about creativity--thanks for putting these two on my radar, Maria. What I'm thinking about doing with Platform 9 3/4 is to stay true to the byline, "The Rejuvenation Station for Creatives," by leading groups through other books on creativity that will serve to inspire and re-energize. I have a long list to choose from! I probably won't start a new group until July, and I'll continue to post between now and then about what's happening in my creative life (perhaps my life in general, since life is all about creativity, right?!). I hope to continue to hear about you all as well!
ReplyDeleteOne thing to share now: one of the dreams I connected with in our TAW journey was that of home ownership. Although I've known many women who bought houses on their own, it seemed like a really crazy and completely unreachable dream for me, something I would never be able to do without a husband or partner. I wrote about it a lot in my MP3's and came to the conclusion that I didn't need a man to do this!
So this morning I made an offer on a house. A HUGE thing for me, who has never owned a home and never believed I would be able to. It is a large enough house that I will be able to rent out two good-sized rooms (I am sending out energy to attract wonderful, creative, stable housemates!) and the rent will cover my mortgage! The interior needs work, but it's all cosmetic--another chance to express my creativity. :-)
I honestly would not have arrived at this place without the work I've done in The Artist's Way, so I have all of you to thank for helping me arrive at home ownership. Assuming my offer is accepted and escrow closes, of course! I have other things cooking too, all inspired and developed through morning pages. Yes, Maria, they are very powerful. Keep at 'em, everyone!
Barbara... this is soooooo awesome!! I'm saying a prayer!! Hurray!!!
DeleteCongratulations! I bought my first home by myself at age 32 and it was the most empowering thing I ever did. I've been doing my morning pages and continue to connect with my visual arts since starting The Artist's Way.
DeleteSounds like you're putting down roots!
Maria - I have Steal like An Artist sitting on my desk. Fun book.
Yay, Barb! That is SO exciting! Will you still be in or near Ferndale? DO keep us posted!
DeleteWowwee - talk about powerful medicine in those MPs = proud of you, Barbara!!! I am hoping the house is in our area so we can pursue that dream of a face to face more easily.
DeleteAm headed to SCBWI tomorrow morning. Will you be there?
Oh, yes! Please keep us posted about the house. I also would love to know if it's near Ferndale.
DeleteIt's IN Ferndale--a mile from downtown. Can't believe it. Maybe you CAN go home again! Inspection is on Monday...
DeleteNot going to the SCBWI conference this time, Margie, but Nancy will be there with PavoRatti! I will be working on a grant proposal to take to classrooms in the area who might want an author in residence and a published book of student writing next year. Anybody know a teacher who might be interested?
Wow!!!! Been in another world the past week, so just read about your new adventure in homeownership! Fantastic! Not only is it exciting news, but how wonderful that you feel confident and empowered enough to embark on this journey. WEeeeeee! Congrats, Barb!
DeleteWe bought our place on a wing and a prayer 2 decades ago. It was well worth doing, but it also has that
ReplyDeletejump off a cliff feeling to it. Fingers crossed. love and light, and get a "fixed rate" mortgage the old man advises.
Thanks, Ginny! And June, "empowered" is the exact word I used in my morning pages about having made the offer. I feel like I'm taking control of my life. What could be more empowering than that?! (Even with the jump-off-a-cliff feeling as part of it, Maria!) The seller and the bank have accepted my offer (it's a short sale, so both are required), but there's another lien holder who still needs to sign off. I should know by the end of the month...
ReplyDeleteI have been absent from writing here for a few weeks now, but I wanted to weigh in on how TAW has affected me.
ReplyDeleteFirst, though, I want to add my appreciation, again, to you, Barb, for pulling this together for us. As you stated, I would not have stuck with the course without this group. As it is, I cannot say that I have done admirably; however, it was definitely beneficial for me.
I think that I have to say that the biggest result of TAW in my life is my watercolor class. I do not believe I would have had nerve to join if I hadn't been doing TAW. Believe me, it would be a stretch to say that I have any talent in this area. However, the group is extremely welcoming and supportive. And I feel like I had a major breakthrough today, actually completing a painting. It is just a postcard-sized painting, but it is, nonetheless, an actual painting! And it has taken me a good three months to get to this point! (I think I have been a real challenge to the teacher!)
In addition to watercolor, I feel freer in general to be more creative in the things that I already enjoy doing--new recipes (modified by me!) in the kitchen, playing guitar again, throwing new seeds in the flower beds, etc.
Barb, you said in an earlier post to "play." My watercolor instructor learned right away that to tell me to "just play" had very little meaning. I'm a learn-by-a-book-or-instructor kind of person. However, I am getting there. A new avenue for me, thanks to TAW!
So it's been a fun adventure, and I have great admiration for all you artists in this group! God bless you all!
So great to hear this, Jan! I'm thrilled about the watercolor class--congratulations on your first completed painting! And I love that you are feeling freer and more creative in other areas of your life as well. How about an image to add to our gallery? If you're not yet comfortable sharing your painting, we'd love to see something from your kitchen. :-) Or a picture of your artist totem or artist altar like those some others have shared.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you joined us! Don't worry that you missed some weeks--what you did was what you needed to do for right now.
Thanks, Barbie! You truly are the encourager! If I photo my painting, I will send it to you. Be prepared for SIMPLE!
DeleteJanisL ... YES!!!!! Awesome... keep painting!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ginny!
DeleteI am so happy to have taken this inspiring, wonderful class, made all the more rewarding as I got to know my cousin better! We have been busy cutting our moorings at the Denver East KOA and moving on to the Cheyenne KOA. I am so excited to have new places to explore, new people to meet, and new adventures to blog about. Thank you, all, for all your contributions to me and to each other. It's been super!
ReplyDelete